Saturday 14 December 2013

Make Your OWN Powder Foundation (With Stuff You Can Find In Your Kitchen)


Hey DIYer's

The other day I was surfing the world wide web, when I came across a recipe for making your own powder foundation with stuff that can be found in your kitchen. And let me tell you, I was SKEPTICAL.

Not only does it sound a bit too easy to make something that brands sell for a lot of cash, but since I live in a country where it is difficult to access some stuff, I thought it couldn't be done.

Firstly the recipe demanded arrowroot. Just like you right now, I was like "what the heck is this??"

Turns out its a powder form of a plant, or you could use cornflour/cornstarch as a substitute. It's the powder form of corn, BTW.

So I went to Shoppers supermarket and managed to get ALL the ingredients which was quite surprising.

The stuff I got is in the picture above, which is;
cornflour
cinnamon powder
cocoa powder
plastic container

The total, including the container, was below 10,000 tsh (about 7 USD)

This is an ALL natural recipe. No way to get an allergic reaction, super cheap and you can make bucket loads. Great gift idea if you put it into a pretty jar and put a ribbon over it. Very hipster.

(please disregard the baking powder in the photo, I think it just rolled in while I was snapping a picture)



Grab a bowl.



Put some cornflour in.


Add a teaspoon of cocoa powder and stir.



Tricky part: add cinnamon powder, stir. Add a little more, stir again. Do this until you get your shade of skin. If you go too dark, you add some more cornflour in. Or you could kill two birds with one stone and make some bronzer as well.




Put in into a plastic container and SHAKEEEE

You can clearly see my container was thoroughly shaken, not stirred.

(Ba-dum tsss)

This will prevent you from getting white cornflour patches on your skin :)


Grab a brush and apply;


Left: some BB cream (Garnier in light) on with store-bought powder on (essence anti-spot powder).
Right: BB cream and the cornflour concoction over it.

As you can see the DIY powder is very matte. Meaning that you will not look shiny or sweaty.
There IS a smell, but it's a chocolatey/cinammony smell.
The powder gets everywhere when you apply it, so make sure you don't have any nice clothes on during application. You can change when you're done doing your makeup.

FINAL VERDICT: I love the idea. However, because it is very messy, I wont apply it all the time. I will apply it when i'm feeling hippie or when I have blemishes.

Did I mention that this is PERFECT for people who have skin irritation/acne?

Much more to come, 

Vanity&Me

No comments:

Post a Comment